Monday, January 5, 2009

The Truth Can Be a Motivator To Take Action

To this day, I remember those words, "You have some fantastic ideas, but the problem with you is you don't act. We sit down, you run your ideas by me and when I see you the next time around you then come up with new ideas. Ideas are great, but if you don't act on them and make them a reality then what's the point?" At the time and being so young I found his opinion of me to be very hurtful. But, the truth was, he was right. I had a lot of great ideas, but I never took the bull by the horns to make these ideas happen. I was just a dreamer and being a dreamer is good, but if you don't act then like he said, "What's the point?"

All throughout my life, I have had a lot of great ideas, but I never acted. It was not because of drive or determination. I was determined to think of the next best idea. At the time, I didn't really know why I didn't act. But now, I know the answer. I never acted on my ideas because I didn't know how. I knew that steps had to be taken to get from point A to B, but I didn't know how to take these steps. Over time and through experience I learned that the most important step in any new idea is just the first step.

That first step for me was the creation of Mr. Cold Call. It's mine, I own it and I feel grateful that I took a risk. I had no idea how popular Mr. Cold Call would be nor did I foresee the day when I would say that millions of salespeople have visited our site. Right now, it's one of the most popular cold calling sites on the world wide web.

I was inspired to write this today after hearing a well-known quote from Dr. Martin Luther King. He once said, "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." Yes, at one point in time, I didn't see the whole picture, but over time, I learned that what is most important is your first step. Your first step sets the tone for each step thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment