Sunday, March 22, 2009

Worry is the Misuse of Imagination

Albert Einstein once said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." And I do agree with him, but too much of an imagination can create too many real-life pictures in your mind that make our minds believe in something that is not real. When I look back at my life, it has become very evident that I worried about things that never materialized. These worrisome thoughts were really just imaginations in my mind of what could happen, but in most cases they never happened.

Why do we worry? We worry because it's the human thing to do. We have learned to worry. It's part of our culture of who we are, but some worry more than others. Those with big imaginations worry a lot and those with very little imaginations worry less. Imagine a world with no worry, is that really possible? Sounds boring and not realistic. It's just not possible. Worry is something that is there and will always be there.

I've discovered that there is no sure-fire way to completely rid worry, but rather, there are ways to limit or control it. For me, the best way to conquer worry is through constant awareness and understanding. Now that I'm aware of my thought patterns, I've decided to worry, but will do so in healthy proportions. I've decided to worry with a new sense of balance and purpose. And finally, while I am a big dreamer of life, I've decided to constantly remind myself that worry is really just the misuse of imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment